Why Texas Longhorns?
A breed unique from any other, Texas Longhorns have helped pave the way for the future of the North American cattle business while preserving their own uniqueness as a breed and as a trendsetter towards leaner beef. The Texas Longhorn - an old breed with a new future.
Consider Texas Longhorns For
- ✔ Lean Meat.
- The breed produces naturally less fat and lower cholesterol for today’s health conscious public.
- ✔ Longevity.
- Texas Longhorns breed well into their teens. More live calves over the years mean more dollars.
- ✔ Browse Utilization.
- Less supplemental feed is needed because the cattle take advantage of the forage available.
- ✔ Disease/Parasite Resistance.
- A natural immunity developed over the centuries means fewer veterinarian bills and less maintenance for today’s cowman.
- ✔ Reproductive Efficiency.
- Large pelvic openings and low birth weights result in live calves. Busy cattlemen can say “goodbye” to sleepless nights.
- ✔ Docility.
- Longhorn cattle are intelligent, easy to work and to handle.
- ✔ Adaptability.
- The breed thrives in climates from the hot, damp coastal regions to the harsh winters of Canada.
- ✔ Hybrid Vigor.
- Heritable quality enhances your present breed and gives you a new genetic pool.
- ✔ Unique.
- No two Texas Longhorns are alike. They all differ in color pattern, size, horn length, and personality.
A Market Machine
- ✔ Seedstock.
- This is the obvious reason for a registered herd. The seedstock producer furnishes the start-up stock for many new breeders. He also provides other seed stock producers with a new genetic pool.
- ✔ Commercial Bulls.
- Texas Longhorn bulls are the bull of choice for first-calf heifers. The commercial cattleman knows that the lower birth weight of the calves puts less stress on the mother. It also gives him a live calf to sell at market the first-time out.
- ✔ Commercial Females.
- Many cattlemen utilize the inherited genetics of the Texas Longhorn female with their breed of bull to produce live, vigorous, profitable calves for the market
- ✔ Recreational Stock.
- There is a ready market for Texas Longhorns for both roping and cutting stock. The cattle are quick, agile, and long-lasting.
- ✔ Lean Beef.
- Today’s health conscious consumer is demanding leaner beef so many Texas Longhorns have found a niche for the beef they produce.
- ✔ Traditional & Nostalgia.
- The Texas Longhorn is the living symbol of the Old West. Wherever the western influence is desired-front pasture, cattle drive, or tourist attraction-you’ll find a demand for this magnificent breed.
- ✔ Horns & Hide.
- The Texas Longhorn is worth money even after it has outlived its usefulness as a beef producer. Top dollars are paid for the horns, skulls, and mounts that are used in the popular Southwestern decor of businesses and homes.
- ✔ Pure Pleasure.
- Intelligent and easy to work with, the Texas Longhorn is easily trained to exhibit in the show ring, lead or drive in parades, pull wagons, and yes, even to ride!